Tuesday, 9 April 2013

English Writing 10 April 2013

            It has been 2 months since the hunger had spread across and all over Somalia. 
 My parents are wealthy merchants and can't seem to feed their kids. Foods here are very scarce. Most of it costs 4 times as much. A day could've cause us around eighty dollars per human being. My parents are already running out of money. We only ate once daily and that is only plain bread for dinner. Still, we are very grateful to be alive.
          My brother and i came to his store barefoot. We sold our shoes so we won't starve ourselves yesterday. It was a hot sunny day and partly dry almost like walking around in a desert. "Have you found any customer dad?" said my starving brother who now have trouble walking; his health is going down day by day. "Unfortunately not. They just don't have enough money so they spend it on food instead." "What are we going to do?" i say desperately half screaming. "Calm. We're going to find a way out of this poverty." "B-but how?" said my brother. "I don't know," dad screamed, "But someone will find a way." I was sick of my dad's same answer every time we asked him that same question. I stormed off out from the store, my face pale and full of agony.                    My brother followed me out. "Hey! Wait up. I can't walk as fast as i used to, ya know." I stopped and waited for him. He was soon in the same pace as i was, then i began to talk. "We are going to starve ourselves. Just look at you." My brother lowered his head and mumbled. "What?" i say frustrated. "I'm not going to sound like dad or whatever but THERE WILL come an end to this." "Really? I mean look at this. Every where we go. Things WILL not change as it used to. It just won't and will never happen!" "If thats what you think, FINE WITH ME. IT'S MY OPINION. NOT YOURS!!" and he went away struggling with his balance.
          I was mad at him for sounding like dad but what could i do? Deep inside, i could feel the truth rising from his words. Yet now, i was alone here. Sitting down on the corner of a broken paved road, the sun scorching and i could barely feel myself.

 I mourned at the loss my family have been through. When will this all end?
 I went back home at around 6pm when the sun was about to set. I could feel the wind now, cold and crisp. At home, there was edible flowers and tiny portion of nuts for us to eat. My brother gathered it as soon as he left me. I'm not mad at him anymore cause why should i? Instead it's the opposite, without him, i would be starving 'till morning comes.
         Next day, out of nowhere, a man delivering a food truck came to town. Everyone gathered to see what he has brought. I found out a moment later when he gave my family a big crate and left it inside. "Is it for free?" "Is this real life?" i asked wondering. "It is." said dad. The package we received was full of deliciously canned food and bottled drinks. All sorts of varieties inside. I have never felt better in months. It tastes just like heaven. Good things will eventually happen to good people anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment